Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Fish hunting, not the same as fishing.

After spotting a few muskrats in the feeder creeks, it was clear that this was going to be a photo opportunity. No muskrats would pose, however:

Even at this distance, I can see that there is definitely some animal out there. The gulls are paying some attention, too.

Whatever it is, it's huge. These are fish, and they are schooling. The slapping and splashing noise is attention getting. Wednesday morning in May and not a fisherman in sight.

Now I'm getting very excited. It's the same feeling I got when I spotted deer while hunting. The very size of these fish is thrilling to see.

They are carp. Almost as big as Ellie. Some of the local people catch these to eat. I'm told they are best when covered in cornmeal and fried.

By the way, these bold fellows were not deterred by me or any other human on the bank. Fishing them would have been so very, very easy.

pb
Little Pond



No comments: